Located at 1910 metres, this is a hotel converted from a barracks, known as “Capanna Montagnola”, built by the Voluntary Militia for National Security (Blackshirts) and left unfinished with the outbreak of the second World War. With the fall of Fascism, the facility was given to the Catania section of the CAI, which completed it and used it as a refuge-hotel. The building was extended to twice its size in the 1960s and completely renovated ten years ago. One of Etna’s two skiing stations was gradually built up around it in the latter part of the 20th century, thanks to the presence of a cable car and some ski-lifts. This area offers access, on foot or by cable lift (or even off-road vehicle) to the summit area.
Rifugio Sapienza is also crossed by the Altomontana Path (701).
Coordinates: 499877E – 4172585N